Henry Hopkins married Bessie Hamlin 1 May 1919 in Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan.1 Henry was born in Harlan County, Kentucky,2 and Bessie was born in North Carolina, but they were both living in Detroit at the time of their marriage.3 Henry and Bess lived in Rockcastle County, Kentucky with his parents for a while in the 1920s but returned to Wayne County, Michigan by 1930.4 Henry worked as a motorman and conductor on street cars.5
Henry and Bess had been married 53 years when she died 2 November 1972.6 They had no children.
Henry was my great-uncle.
- Wayne County, Michigan, Marriage Records, vol 8:271, Henry Hopkins-Bess Hamlin, 1 May 1919; image, “Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867-1952,” Ancestry.com (https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/9093/ : accessed 14 Feb 2020). ↩
- Emma Ewers Taylor Hopkins, “Our Family History” (fill in the blanks family history book, Loyall, Kentucky, 1976-1978); privately held by Faye Hopkins McCauley Mt. Vernon, Kentucky, 1978. ↩
- Wayne County, Michigan, Marriage Records, vol 8:271, Henry Hopkins-Bess Hamlin, 1919. ↩
- 1920 U.S. census, Rockcastle County, Kentucky, population schedule, South Brodhead Precinct, enumeration district (ED) 248, sheet 16A, dwelling 299, family 300, James A. Hopkins; digital images, Ancestry (www.ancestry.com : accessed 20 Feb 2010); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T625, roll 595. … 1930 U.S. census, Wayne County, Michigan, population schedule, Ecorse, enumeration district (ED) 913, sheet 8A, dwelling 141, family 148, H. M. Hopkins; digital images, Ancestry (www.ancestry.com : accessed 22 Feb 2010); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T626, roll 1071. ↩
- Genesee County, Michigan, death certificate no. D251 478, Henry M. Hopkins; Genesee County Clerk’s Office, Flint. ↩
- Social Security Administration, “Social Security Death Index,” database, Rootsweb (http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi : accessed 10 Jun 2008), entry for Bessie Hopkins, 1972. ↩